1 cup diced onions
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups undrained italian seasoned crushed tomatoes (28 oz. can)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
¾ cup bread crumbs
1 garlic clove – crushed
¾ cup raw orzo
2 cups rinsed, stemmed, and chopped fresh spinach
4 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups grated parmesan cheese
1. Serves 4 as main dish, Prep time 30 minutes, cook time 50 minutes
2. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F
3. Lightly oil an 11 x17 casserole dish
4. In a bowl, mix together the onions, basil, salt, and tomatoes. Set aside.
5. Warm the oil in a skillet and sauté the bread crumbs and garlic until bread crumbs are lightly browned
6. Spread ½ of tomato mixture on the bottom of the prepped casserole dish.
7. Sprinkle the uncooked orzo over the tomatoes
8. Layer the spinach, mushrooms, and 1 cup of cheese on top of the orzo.
9. Top with the rest of the tomato mixture.
10. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and finish with a layer of bread crumbs.
11. Cover tightly with foil or the casserole’s lid
12. Bake for 25 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 25 minutes until slightly browned.
Small mixing bowl
Casserole dish 11 x 17 with cover (or use tented foil)
Can eat this as a whole meal or as a side dish.
(from Moosewood New Classics)
Belize November 2016
5 months ago