½ cup red-wine vinegar
½ cup plus 1 T. olive oil
½ cup fresh oregano
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 head fresh garlic, peeled and pureed
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
3 bay leaves
1 cup pitted olives, halved
5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup red wine
8 shallots, chopped
1 T margarine
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, halved
2 16-ounce cans artichoke hearts, drained
1. In a 9 by 12 inch baking dish, mix together vinegar, ½ cup oil, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and olives. Marinate chicken overnight in refrigerator.
2. Sprinkle with brown sugar and red wine. Bake for 1 hour, covered, at 350 degrees. Cool.
3. Remove chicken and cut into bite-size chunks and return to dish.
4. Sauté the shallots in margarine and remaining oil. Add tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
5. Pour sun-dried mixture over the chicken and reheat in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves and serve.
One time, I did not have red wine, so I used white wine vinegar and white wine-superb also. I usually use a little less sugar and have been known to use white onions if shallots did not make it into my shopping bags.
from Jewish Cooking in America, Joan Nathan
9 months ago